November 11, 2017
Tempe Book Festival
November 4, 2017
Phoenix Crime Lab Tour
October 21, 2017
WriteNow!2017 Annual Conference
August 12, 2017
Writer Quest: Conquer the Publishing Jungle
Special Guests: Clive Cussler, Lee Goldberg, Robin Burcell, Dana Kaye, Jill Marr, Holly Lorincz
Sisters in Crime 30th Anniversary Celebration
August 11, 2017
Crime Scenes for Writers
March 18, 2017
2017 Tucson Festival of Books
March 11-12, 2017
Janet Reid Query Writing Workshop
February 25, 2017
January 14, 2017
WriteNow! Conference – August 12-13, 2016
Polish, Pitch, Publish: Mystery SOLVED
Another fantastic SinC Desert Sleuths annual conference featuring internationally renowned guest speakers, which included bestselling authors Jan Burke, Alex Kava, and Cynthia Hickey, as well as literary agents Holly Lörincz and Victoria Lowes.
Donald Maass’ Writing the Breakout Novel
May 14, 2016
This full-day, hands-on workshop helped authors hone their writing skills, regardless of writing experience.
Literary agent and bestselling author Donald Maass detailed the elements that all breakout novels share—regardless of genre—and presented writing techniques that make books stand out and succeed in a crowded marketplace.
LOCKED & LOADED – Set Your Sights on Writing Success
August 15, 2015
- “Aim High”—Simon Wood interviewed keynote speaker Sara Paretsky
- “Build Your Arsenal”—Simon Wood discussed marketing your work. Book signing: 10:45 a.m.–11:00 a.m.
- “Find Your Trajectory”—Hilary Davidson spoke about developing plot and setting and writing both non-fiction and fiction.
- “Shoot . . . Don’t Shoot!”—Christina Cox and Deborah J. Ledford talked about dialogue and characterization, writing an original screenplay, and converting books into screenplays.
- “Hit Your Mark”—Terri Bischoff addressed the issues of submission requirements, the state of the publishing industry, and creating an elevator pitch.
- “Ready, Aim, FIRE!”—Panel discussion featuring Hilary Davidson, Christina Cox, Deborah J. Ledford, Jenny Milchman, and Michael Koryta
Write NOW! Conference:
MASTERING CRIME FICTION: A WHODUNNIT HOW-TO – August 16
- Creating Characters WHO Breathe: Catriona MacPherson
- WHAT Really Works? Optimize Writing Time, Increase Productivity: Mark Sullivan
- WHY? Your Plot, the Heart of the Story: Graham Brown
- WHERE Do I Go From Here? Getting to the Finish Line: Tim Hallinan
- HOW To Make it Happen – a Q & A with Graham, Tim and Mark, moderated by Catriona MacPherson
Nuts & Bolts workshop – April 26
- “Scene of the Crime: An Interactive Investigation” with Phoenix Police Detective Timothy Moore; private Investigator and former Chicago Police Officer Paul Huebl; and Defense Attorney Richard Gierloff
- “Partners in Crime (Writing): Doing Time with a Cohort” with Sally Smith and Jean Steffens
- “Arrested Development: Locking Up Your Characters” with Donis Casey
- “Elements of a Crime: Mining a Gem from Your Research” with Susan Cummins Miller
- “Romancing Your Crime: Spicing Up Your Story” Marsha Sandoval and Pamela Tracy
- “Contract Killing: Publishing Under the Scope” with Deborah J Ledford
Nuts & Bolts Workshop
Scottsdale Civic Center Library
- “Plots That Kill” with Kate Herbert
- “The Writer’s Voice” with Nancy McCurry
- “Creating Memorable Characters” with Kris Neri
- “Scene of the Crime” with Connie Flynn
- “Hostage Negotiating” with Isabella Maldonado
- “First Lines, Queries and Synopsis” with Deborah J Ledford and Pascal Marco